Skip to main content

It's a very personal gadget and personally I'm disturbed - ZDNet

Closeup of Manscaped product

Useful, surely.

Manscaped/Screeshot by Chris Matyszczyk

I'm not the man I used to be and what many a men's magazine -- and, no doubt, Dr. Jordan Peterson -- say I should be.

I'm still alright with that and roll along my way as best I can.

So I confess I don't leap on every male bandwagon, rousing the horses with a hee-haw and a giddyup.

Also: Look what Boston Dynamics' humanoid robot can do now

But I do feel an urge to mention a particular class of male-oriented gadgets that I've resisted for perhaps too long -- the personal shaving machine.

I feel sure it's a good idea. I feel slightly less sure that the way it's about to be advertised is, well, entirely edifying.

You see, I've just stumbled into a new ad for Manscaped's Beard Hedger.

Or, according to its more comprehensive Amazon description, the "MANSCAPED® The Beard Hedger™ Premium Precision Beard Trimmer, 20 Length Adjustable Blade Wheel, Stainless Steel T-Blade for Precision Facial Hair Trimming, Cordless Waterproof Wet / Dry Clipper."

How would you present such an apparently useful product to the world?

Would you show the world's strongest men trimming their beards before competition? Would you perhaps show rows of delirious hipster men trimming their beards and claiming it improves their coffee-drinking technique and hygiene?

more Technically Incorrect

Or would you show a famous golfer and his son chatting about how, in dad's day, women allegedly liked men to be hirsute downstairs?

You might guess that Manscaped chose the last option. For here is golfing legend John Daly and his son, University of Arkansas golfer Little John Daly, discussing, well, dad's pubic orchard.

Dad asks his son which club he should use. Little John, for some reason, believes dad is talking about his beard and suggests dad try this little machine.

"Manscaped, huh?" The dad says. "Son, back in my day ladies loved grass in the fairways." Then he appears to be about to show his son his, well, grass.

Do I hear a ho-ho?

Look, it's not you, it's me.

You'll tell me it's perfectly normal for a dad to chat with his son about the landscaping of his nether regions. And I'll tell you that you're right, while quietly squirming.

Little John has to explain to Big John that this particular gadget is for his face, rather than beneath his belly. Then a voiceover pops up to explain this thing has 20 settings, which sounds quite marvelous.

The two stars play the ad very well. There's even a tinge of fine comic timing.

Personally, though, I find the best way to deal with my beard is to shave it off completely every ten days. That way, I look slightly different every day.

Also: The 10 best tech gifts under $100

Here, though, we're being told that a man's beard should have a consistent look -- which, should you be familiar with Big John's highly subjective daily attire, isn't usually the case for him.

Male personal grooming is a highly lucrative market -- $55 billion, it seems. This is because many men have a great need to present themselves in a very particular way. Surely you've seen at least one session of Congress to appreciate that.

But oh, dad and son talking about, you know, downstairs? That may be a little too liberal for some.

Adblock test (Why?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teknologi skal få dig hurtigere over Storebælt: Nummerpladen er bilens nye ... - DR

Warriors blast Rockets in second half, force Game 7 OAKLAND, Calif. - More than seven months and 98 games later, the Rockets' quest to surpass and succeed the champion Warriors comes down to one more game. The collision course that had been viewed by many to be no more than the Rockets' quixotic obsession brought them to a Game 7 Monday at Toyota Center, their shorthanded bid to eliminate the Warriors in a stunning upset coming up a half short. The Warriors blasted the Rockets in the second half when the 3s poured in, the Rockets' bogged down and the absence of Chris Paul became most conspicuous as the Warriors joyfully rolled to a 115-86 ro... Let's block ads! (Why?) Baca Kelanjutan Teknologi skal få dig hurtigere over Storebælt: Nummerpladen er bilens nye ... - DR : https://ift.tt/2IRGPId

ごみ処理場で軽トラと衝突…作業員が転落し死亡【愛媛・伊予市】(テレビ愛媛) - Yahoo!ニュース

テレビ愛媛 伊予市のごみ処理施設で18日午前、作業員の男性が軽トラックとぶつかり、ごみを溜めるピットに転落して死亡しました。 18日午前9時半頃、伊予市三秋の伊予地区清掃センターで市の臨時職員・武智秀高さん(61)が軽トラックとぶつかり、約6メートル下のごみをためるピットに転落しました。 武智さんは松山市の病院に搬送されましたが、全身を強く打っていて約1時間半後に死亡しました。 武智さんは軽トラックをごみの投入口まで誘導していたということです。 警察は軽トラックを運転していた67歳の女性から事情を聴くなどし、原因を詳しく調べています。 伊予地区清掃センターは今後、一般の利用者は高さ1メートルほどの破砕機にゴミを投入してもらうなど、対策をとることにしています。 テレビ愛媛 Let's block ads! (Why?) "ゴミ" - Google ニュース March 18, 2020 at 04:30PM https://ift.tt/2WrNNsI ごみ処理場で軽トラと衝突…作業員が転落し死亡【愛媛・伊予市】(テレビ愛媛) - Yahoo!ニュース "ゴミ" - Google ニュース https://ift.tt/2sQokwh Shoes Man Tutorial Pos News Update Meme Update Korean Entertainment News Japan News Update

メルペイが「かんたん出品連携」機能を開始、SHOPLISTで購入した商品の資産価値を可視化して簡単に出品できる - ネットショップ担当者フォーラム

メルペイは3月27日から、提携するECサイトでメルペイのネット決済を利用して購入した商品を、購入履歴を元に簡単にメルカリに出品できる「かんたん出品連携」機能の提供を開始した。 第一段として、CROOZ SHOPLISTが運営するECサイト「SHOPLIST.com by CROOZ」で「かんたん出品連携」機能を導入した。 「かんたん出品連携」機能とは 「かんたん出品連携」は、メルカリアプリ内の「持ち物リスト」に含まれる商品を簡単に出品できる機能。「持ち物リスト」には、提携するECサイトでメルペイを利用して購入した商品や過去にメルカリで購入した商品、「売れるかチェック」機能を使用して撮影した持ち物が掲載される。 また、過去の相場データやAIから予測した各商品の売れやすい価格や、リスト内の商品の合計金額が表示され、自身の資産情報が可視化される。出品時には、商品のカテゴリーやブランド、商品名、説明が全て自動で入力されるため、メルカリに簡単に出品できるようになる。 「持ち物リスト」の画面(画像は編集部がキャプチャし、追加) 今後はANAP、fifth、MAGASEEK、PREMOA、RUNWAY channelなどのECサイトでも実装されるという。 機能実装の背景 今回の機能実装の背景について、メルペイは以下のように述べた。 メルカリが2019年4月にフリマアプリ利用者を対象に実施した調査によると、「新品購入時にリセールバリューを考えるようになった」と回答した割合が6割を超えていました。この結果から、消費者の中で「売ることを前提に買い物をする」という意識の広がりと「再販価値の把握」に対する消費者のニーズの高まりが感じられます。 また、フリマアプリの利用により「新品の購入単価が上がった」と回答した割合が約3割となっており、フリマアプリの存在が新品購入の単価にも影響を与えていることがうかがえます。 メルペイとSHOPLIST、それぞれの見解 機能実装に際して、メルカリの遠山義幸氏とCROOZ SHOPLISTの稲垣剛之氏に両社にとってのメリットや見解について話を聞いた。 CROOZ SHOPLIST取締役 プロダクト管理本部管掌の稲垣剛之氏(左)と メルカリMP Online & Data Linkage Managerの遠山...